<VV> VirtualVairs Fan belt

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 16 01:48:41 EDT 2010

No, Spyders of 62/63 did not need a harmonic balancer, as they were 145
cu in engines. But, the reason I asked as I drove my 64 Spyder
convertible for years with the same fan belt problem, as someone before
1976 swapped a 62/63 Spyder engine into my car, keeping the 62/63 sheet
metal and mount/bracket, but installing a harmonic balancer. Perhaps to
deceive the next buyer? More likely they just didn't know what they were
doing...

You may  or may not have a 164 cu in engine. The only way I know to find
out, as the engine numbers do not say (all are YR) is to take the top
cover or head off and measure the stroke of the crankshaft.

Frank DuVal