<VV> Dropped valve seat in Colorado

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun May 16 13:32:32 EDT 2010

At 08:19 PM 5/14/2010, HallGrenn at aol.com wrote:

>Randy,
>
>That's the first half.   Apparently steel seats in aluminum heads  don't
>like the rapid cool down when you go down the hill after heating up on the
>climb.  So you want to shift up after you crest the hill so you
>don't  descend
>in a lower gear at first which causes rapid cooling.  Let the heads  cool
>off gradually after the hot climb.

I can attest to this, after that mountain climb on the way to the
Asheville convention in the Corsa ragtop and the aggravating trip up
the mountain behind a dump truck that managed the perfect speed to
cause me to either lug the car in 3rd or over-speed the engine in 2nd
until I crested the top of the mountain with a hot engine and was
able to pass him, and then faced that equally long downhill on the
other side, behind another heavy-laden semi-truck with brakes so hot
they were smoking and stinking up the landscape, a while before I was
able to get around HIM with my own brakes getting hot so I ended up
gearing down which of course supercooled the engine...  and a valve
seat came out not long after getting away from the mountain, which
meant I had to pull into the host motel all shaky and going
clatter-clatter and providing passers-by with entertainment the
following day with an impromptu tech session as I pulled it all apart
to replace a head in the host motel parking lot.   Good thing vendors
were everywhere...

I never allow a 'Vair engine to supercool like that again, overheat
the brakes if need be, much easier to replace brake shoes than
cylinder heads.

tony..

PS:   thought I had it bad til I saw the fellow with the FC that
ruined a transaxle getting there