<VV> Can you remove the "horse collar"?

psergeant paulsgt at earthlink.net
Mon May 17 17:50:30 EDT 2010

Good afternoon Corvair Gurus!

I bought new bolts and bushings in order to replace the bushings at either end of the "horse collar" the thing that the transmission crossmember bolts up to (LM convertible 110/PG).   The question for you experts is this, can this be removed/replaced without drivetrain removal?   I was under there looking at the situation (this is a LM Convertible 110/PG).  It looks possible if I drop the heat duct work, and support the rear of the transmission, unbolt the transmission mounts and the parking brake retainers.  I don't want to take it apart unless it is in fact possible.

Thanks very much!

Sincerely,

Paul Sergeant
65 Monza Convertible (110/PG)
61 Pontiac Tempest Safari wagon

CORSA since 1975
Member: Corvair Minnesota, CORSA, POCI, Little Indians.