<VV> Easterners Buying Western Cars

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Tue May 18 08:29:08 EDT 2010

Over the years I have bought a number of cars 'out-of-state' ... both Corvair and non Corvair.  As a Michigan resident vehicles in my local supply of old cars are usually in pretty sorry condition so I have a reasonable incentive.  I have learned of cars for sale through CORSA, Hemmings, Ebay, etc.  These vehicles have come from as far west as California, as far east as New England, and as far south as Florida.  I have had a some shipped and fetched some back with a trailer, and gently driven the rest.  I mentally discount the condition before I ever see the vehicle so I have never been disappointed BECAUSE I know the seller ALWAYS has a higher opinion of the vehicle than it deserves.  Private sellers are generally honest and I have never had a seller claim a car to be drivable when it was not.

I have had cars break down and require repairs to get them home ... even though I have been driving them for years so IF I was to have a problem with a new acquisition I would have it repaired as required.  It really makes no difference.  I try to talk to each seller by phone and have even had them start the vehicle while I listened on the phone.  Ebay generally supplies enough pictures and I ask for pictures in other cases.  I ask about new / used replacement parts and If the vehicle is in daily use.  Then I make my decision.  It is an adventure in life and an always interesting experience that provides a wealth of stories for the future.
Ken P

"Steven J. Serenska" <corvair at serenska.com> wrote: [in part]

The thing I think most Easterners are afraid of is the "sight unseen"
factor.  I know I am.

Steven "humans tend to behave rationally, believe it or not" Serenska