<VV> Manual retractable antenna for '66 Corvair front fender

Allan V. Lacki redbat01 at verizon.net
Sun May 23 17:33:11 EDT 2010

Many years ago, I replaced the right front fender on my '66 Corvair coupe, and I never got around to drilling a hole for the radio antenna.  I've been driving without a working radio ever since then.  Two questions:  Does anyone have a factory template showing where to drill the hole?  Also, how much clearance is beneath it?  I would like to install a manual retractable antenna that is flush with the fender when the antenna is fully retracted.  I realize that a power antenna is unlikely to fit in the front fender, but perhaps a manual retractable antenna may fit.  I believe a manual retractable antenna needs about 10 inches of vertical space beneath the fender.  Has anyone tried this?  Al Lacki