<VV> SOLUTION TO AN ALARMING OBSERVATION

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Fri May 28 06:43:06 EDT 2010

A few years ago I decided I would do something about my extensive collection of used Corvair parts.  Each year the Detroit Area Corvair Club holds an event we call the Homecoming.  I loaded up a trailer with lots of parts, took them there and spread them out in the parking lot.  Because I am somewhat busy with the Hospitality Room I did not have time to tend these items so I put a sign out 'Take what your want FIRST then see me in the Hospitality Room.'  For the four days people would find me and pay me!  At the end of the weekend I reloaded a very few of the items to take home and a couple of sold engines to deliver.

But the story does not stop there.  In the DACC we have a young man which faithfully pulls a large trailer to every event.  I suspect most clubs have such a member or two that rely on sales of their items enables his family to attend a meet.  I GAVE him everything I had left.  Now he has a bigger selection from which to sell, the parts are available to others, and I no longer have to store them.  Perhaps his young son will take over for him one day.  If I, someday, NEED something I can go him and BUY what I need.  The hobby goes on.

OK, I have NOT needed any of my old parts ... but, a lot other Corvair people have!  I believe things have worked out well.
Ken P

"Harry Yarnell" <hyarnell1 at earthlink.net> wrote:

Tim's post is timely.
Just yesterday, I was staring at the tons of corvair parts I've accumulated over the years, neatly (?) stored on the shelves of the garage.
 What for? What good are they? I'll never use them. I'm getting old and can no longer lift the transaxles I used to. How do you make effective use of this stuff?  I'm not physically able to load a truck with all this stuff, lug it to a flea market, unload it and have people buy one or two items, then load it back up, only to ULOAD it back in Perryman. So it sits....until I die, and it all goes to the dump...

Harry Yarnell
Perryman Garage and Orphanage
hyarnell1 at earthlink.net