<VV> American Quality--Urban Legends-SOME CORVAIR

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Sat May 29 13:43:42 EDT 2010

Robby,

When was the last time you bought an American car?  Even Consumers  Union
thinks highly of them now.  An attorney who works for me and the  company
keeps harping on American crappy cars.  I finally challenged her as  to when
she last owned one.  She admitted she had never owned one herself,  but her
mother bought a new 1973 Oldsmobile that gave a lot of trouble.   She also
won't replace her Honda CRX because it was built in Japan and most new  Hondas
are built in the US in non union shops in "right to work" states.

When I bought my Corvairs in the '60s and early '70s people told me I was
buying junk--that I should buy a real car.  Urban legend and popular
culture.  It made it possible for me (and many current Corvair people) to  get
Corvair parts and even complete Corvairs at incredibly low  prices.  At the
time the only American car I would consider was a Corvair  for safety and
fun-to-drive reasons.  I just didn't like "big iron" from  Detroit.  They
couldn't stop, go around corners or pass a gas  station.  I was biased, my attorney
is biased and you aren't being  objective either Robby.

Because of the dependable service of our '94 Olds 88 (200,000 miles and '98
 Pontiac Bonneville (138,000 miles)--which both brought good prices,  I
just  bought a new Malibu 3.6L V6, with a six speed transmission and better gas
 mileage on regular than my neighbor's V6 Camry.  It has open source
programming (unlike Toyota), excellent reviews, handles very well and will
outrun my brother-in-law's '72 Malibu.  Too bad it isn't a Corvair  though.

Bob Hall