<VV> American cars

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Sun May 30 20:02:56 EDT 2010

Yeah, I drive a Prius.
Those who know me , know I am no tree hugging Liberal.
I bought the car because I could get 50+ MPG out of it.
Don't argue with me unless you can prove otherwise.
I actually rented one for a week, took it on a trip and averaged 51.3 MPG,
checking it with a calculator, and the on board computer.

People locally whined about it, saying I could have bought a Cobalt for half
the price. (See my previous post about buying GM) No one was offering to pay
me to drive one. Besides, I don't fit in a Cobalt! But I fit in a Prius just
fine.

Almost at 30,000 miles on the Prius.
Do my own oil changes, and tire rotations.
Ownership cost me no maintenance so far.
It does need new tires though, and am ready to upgrade to the Goodyear
Triple tread to cope with my climate in NY.

They recommend a cabin filter about now, and have already bought one and
have it on the shelf.

No, it has not run away on me with uncontrolled acceleration.
I did get a recall notice from Toyota regarding a modification of the gas
pedal.
I laugh as the pedal is almost 3 inches from the floor mat, so regard this
as simply to placate those who do not know how to drive.
This link is for those too stupid to know how to stop a car.
http://priuschat.com/news/video-hilarious-how-to-stop-a-prius-documentary-ns
fw

Gary Swiatowy

From: "henry kaczmarek" <kaczmarek at charter.net>
Subject: Re: <VV> American cars
I don't know about NOW, but in 1979 I purchased a new stripped down 1980
Toyota corolla (no radio, no A/C, no glovebox door) for 4600.00  With the
sales taxes and prep fees it was 5100. With the interest on the 4 year loan
it was 6100.

Now it did throw 3 slave cylinders, and one positive battery cable, and the
salt air parking it next to the ocean for 3 years in Puerto Rico made me
have to change the radiator with a used one after 5 years of ownership,BUT.
I owned the car until 1992 when I sold it for 500.00 to a friend because it
needed its 3rd clutch and pressure plate.  Then again, the car had TWO
HUNDRED AND FORTY EIGHT THOUSAND MILES ON IT!!!!

I never replaced the alternator, never changed the points module, never
adjusted the carb. I used to set the timing by ear.  Changed cap rotor plugs

wires battery, Brakes, tires, and the rear axle bearings that mount in the
tube.   That's it folks.

THIRTEEN YEARS---never stranded me on the highway. I even pulled a 66 Monza
loaded with engine and tranny parts from Hammond, LA to Gulf Shores, AL
before I realized I'd never get to Buffalo doing it. Left it at my inlaws
and came back to get the Monza with brother's 4WD.

End of the day, I was choosing between it and a 1980 Chevy Citation.   Guess

I made the right freakin' choice THAT time.

Hank