<VV> American cars - trans shifting, ECUs & runaway cars

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Sun May 30 20:46:58 EDT 2010

I figure people whose cars run away on them should simply shift into neutral
?

That had to be re-thunk, after driving a friends 1995 Saturn (OBD-I with 75K
miles) where the transmission seemed to shift from 1st to 3rd then 2nd, then
back to 1st seemingly at random with no change in accelerator position -
weird !
I could always shift to neutral and back to "reset" it too.

After getting estimates to fix the transmission from $500 to $1500, the
battery started to discharge and die over the next few days, for another
$300 repair.

Decided to replace the alternator which wasn't charging, and guess what
The transmission problem cleared up too !

Apparently the computer-controlled transmission loses its mind when the
voltage is low (as when battery loses voltage while driving, but before it
doesn't have enough to run the engine) ?

Could Toyota's runaway problem be due to low voltage ?

Just wondering if it's a clue that has been investigated ?

It's also a good reason to drive a Corsa  4-speed !
Charlie