<VV> American cars - trans shifting, ECUs & runaway cars

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon May 31 11:10:16 EDT 2010

At 08:46 PM 5/30/2010, Charles Lee wrote:
>I figure people whose cars run away on them should simply shift into neutral
>?

The problem there is, according to some engineers who have
investigated these issues, if the software controlling an
electronically shifted automatic transmission gets glitched, it might
not LET you shift into neutral when the car is moving and the
throttle is applied.

Common logic would suggest that someone like the police officer
killed in a Lexus would have tried that, along with shutting off the
ignition which, according to other engineers' comments regarding
glitched electronics, could also become an issue if the computer
decided that those pushbutton starts and stops would suddenly become
inop.   ...like the throttle software.

Toyota began replacing electronics after their "rug caught in the gas
pedal" and pedal replacement "fix" resulted in continued
runaways.    It also remains a fact that the gas pedal Toyota uses is
not a Toyota part, it's a 2nd party contracted piece also used in
other manufacturers' vehicles and to date not one of them has had a
problem with the pedal.

Go figger...

My Corvairs all have linkage connecting the skinny pedal to the
carbs.   And, when I twist the key to the left, I know the engine is
gonna stop.   And, the brakes on every 'Vair here will stop the car
even with the throttle wide open.

Ya know, it seems I recall there being a mandate by the DOT that a
car certified to function on US highways be able to be stopped with
its own brakes even with the throttle stuck wide open in low
gear.   Likewise a mandate that it be illegal to coast a vehicle in
Neutral on the highways, out of gear...

How many cars out there have electronically controlled transmissions
that won't let you shift into neutral with the car rolling and
throttle applied?   (seriously, I don't know and would like to)

tony..