<VV> No brochures-no corvair

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Mon May 31 10:21:09 EDT 2010

At 10:36 PM 5/30/2010, kenpepke at juno.com wrote:

>Amen to that ... In spite of anecdotal evidence to the contrary we
>see that at the junkyard on a daily basis.  Clearly the quality in
>these vehicles is added by their advertising departments :-(
>
>Ken P
>
>****************
>"John Kepler" <jekepler at amplex.net> wrote: [in part]
>
>Yeah?  My son was a tech at a Toyota dealership...you should drop by our
>shop sometime for a little "1-on-1" about some of Toyota's OTHER
>design/production defects that they have quietly and conveniently swept
>under the rug!  Toyota owners.....probably like BMW/VW owners, have
>invested so much in the "quality" mythology that they'll put-up with
>crap that'd have a GM or Ford owner screaming for/at his lawyer
>and/or Congress-critter!
>It's just a car....a VERY ordinary and unexciting car at that!

Remember, Toyota has been Hell-bent on taking that top spot away from
GM for almost two decades now and would stop at nothing to get
there.   Automotive analysts have discussed Toyota's "run for the
money" numerous times, along with their cut-throat business practices.

It's no surprise to me that a DOT study released last week stated
that Toyota accidents involving equipment failures (such as sticking
throttles, anti-skid brake errors, and other problems some of which
caused recalls etc) have resulted in approximately 1000 fatalities
that otherwise wouldn't have happened.   Several analysts have stated
that they were surprised it took this long for all this to finally
come to light...

That's 10 times as many people burned to death in Ford Crown Vics and
30 times as many people burned to death in Pintos.   But ALL we hear
about is how "dangerous" the Pinto was, and lately that Crown Vics
might also be "susceptible" to fires.   Likewise Mustangs... lots of
people died in mustangs, more so than Pintos.

However... these are US made cars bearing US brand names.   And we
all know that "Toyota quality" always outstrips any US car maker's
quality... don't we...?   Americans can't build good cars like
Toyota, or any other Japanese maker...    To this day I still
remember that consumer magazine that critiqued cars, calling a
Mitsubishi marque a bargain and well made and condemning a Dodge
marque for sloppy construction and poor handling etc ad nauseam,
evidently forgetting the then-partnership between Chrysler and
Mitsubishi and the two cars in question were identical except for the
upholstery and paint colors... yet it was the "Japanese" car that got
glowing commentary while the "American" car got slammed.

Consumer Reports (and its sycophants) lost all credibility after that
fiasco... already in dutch with the likes of me after they condemned
home electronics (in this instance VCRs) with US brand names yet the
Japanese branded machines which were IDENTICAL got glowing
reviews.   I suppose the review gang at CR didn't realize both
machines were made by Matsushita in Japan...

  There have been other examples...  I don't pay any attention to CR
anymore.

The only way Toyota could overtake GM (even with the General's
problems over the last decade) was to cut corners.   And they
did.   Now they're paying for it... although their PR campaign of
late has actually gotten some people to feel *sorry* for Toyota and
its "troubles" which they brought on themselves.

I'm still surprised it took this long.   Toyota had it coming well
over a decade ago.

Corvair content?   I'd like to see any Toyota out there that has
lasted as long as the Corvairs in the fleet here which are still
running after all the years and in the case of my '60, over 50 years
now and still serving as daily transportation to and from, and my '60
has plenty of life in it yet.

tony..