<VV> Setting the timing

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Mon May 31 18:44:36 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/31/2010 3:27:17 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
contactsmu at sbcglobal.net writes:

One more  quick question.  The Corvair Basics says to set the timing at
24 adv. on a 110 with PG and AC when you have a timing mark that
indicates that.  I do have a PG with AC (no compressor as of yet  -
need more $$$).  The head on the right is probably original,  the one
on the left is most likely correct as it had to be replaced  but was
done so by a CORSA member and mechanic.  Should I set  it at 14 (PG no
AC) or use my advance on the timing light as the  indicator only goes
to 16 degrees

Stephen  U

Stephan,
Set the timing as far advanced as the engine will tolerate without
detonating. All the specs you mention relate to higher octane being available  when
written. What octane gas are you using? (no need to answer)

It isn't clear from what you said whether your engine has the timing scale
with a max of 16 or 24 degrees, but in either case I'd suggest 14 for a
setting.  And as you might already know, the 24 deg setting was for engines
that were  claimed to be 110 hp but actually had 95 hp heads.
Regards,
Bob Helt