<VV> PALM SPRINGS ADVENTURE (LONG BUT TRUE)

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 2 19:37:46 EDT 2010

Hi All, Had a great time this weekend at the Toss in Palm Springs but it turned out to be quite an adventure indeed. About 10 miles east of Ludlow Calif I started to smell gasoline. I pulled over and noticed with the engine running gas shooting out of the right side fuel line at the fuel pump "T" all over the distributor cap. Thank God I am running Seth's cap and wires so no spark leak i.e. no fire. I did not have any parts to repair this line (it was a crack at the flared fitting) so I took the line off from the "T" and from the carb. (and reversed the line so it was going over the fan belt away from the distributor)and kinked it closed as best as I could. The fuel kept dripping so I removed my vacuum advance hose and shoved it onto the line as far as I could and then stuck a shroud screw into the hose. It still dripped (though a lot less) so I ended up sticking this hose into an empty water bottle to catch the raw gas. Then I was able to drive the remaining 50 miles to Barstow on 3 cylinders (Ludlow does not even have a stop sign) where I went into the local NAPA store and bought the items needed to temporarily fix the fuel line "properly". Then I was back on all 6 driving to Covina Calif. to see my dear mom (age 84). Then while in Covina I noticed coming to a stop the car would shutter excessively. Then I remembered the universal joints I was supposed to have changed but never was able to find the time. So into the local auto parts store where they had 2 u joints (Precision #369) and then it was over to my friends Volvo repair shop in Glendora where he let me put my Rampside on his hoist and R+R both joints. Both were missing all the needle bearings out of a couple of the cups. Whew, another bullet dodged. Then it was onto Palm Springs where I arrived at the Holiday Inn at about 5 PM Friday afternoon. Saturday morning I was at the swap meet looking for the right hand steel fuel line (remember?) but the only one I found was on an engine and the seller didn't want to sell just it. Lucky for me my friend Duane Wentland from Oregon found a near new one sitting on top of some boxes (about 5 feet off the ground) and the seller said "three dollars".I don't think he knew he even had it as it was sort of just sitting jammed into a milk crate. I was quite happy to pay that. Once I got the item I needed then it was on to what I wanted. I found Scott Howey and bought the 3 Corsa Tech guides (paper and CD's). Then I just sort of hung out and had lunch with Matt Nall. My what a pleasure that was. Then it was the banquet, installing the line, and then it was Sunday. Back to the meet Sunday morning where I met the infamous Charles Lee. You know the guy with the working handbrake and steering box. He was easy to spot as he was walking around with a piston/rod assembly but it was he that found me. And a very nice gent he is indeed. I hope he can get his '67 going reliably soon. Then Sunday afternoon I was headed east getting to Phoenix for the evening around 6 PM. Then Monday late morning I was headed north finally arriving back in Durango Colorado just as the sun was setting.I ended up going just about 1800 miles all together and never got towed! I suppose I will be carrying a spare fuel line from now on in addition to everything else I carry. What bothers me is the fuel lines were replaced about 5 years ago with new ones but life happens. Again, I had a great time this weekend at the Toss in Palm Springs. One more Corvair trip planned before winter: Denver this weekend for our club meeting (only about 650 miles this time).
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado
Corvair PG Rampsides rule