<VV> Collateral damage was done by piston break ? (1967 Monza 110 PG)

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Wed Nov 3 14:56:09 EDT 2010

I'm very curious about how such a large piece of my piston broke off with
such a clean break, and apparently very recently since the surfaces are not
burned from running the engine for very long in that condition.

www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1967MonzaDamageToPiston3.htm

Also, how did such a large piece make it between the side of the piston and
the cylinder wall with doing some major damage to the walls ?

And if it got 'ground up' what collateral damage was done to cams, etc ?

This is very curious indeed, and while I've seen pix of badly damaged
pistons, this is the 'neatest' damage I have seen !
It almost looks like a GM 'cutaway' model of a piston ?

Am I right or is this kind of clean, precise damage normal ?

Thanks for sharing (and resolving ?) my curiosity !
Charlie