<VV> Collateral damage was done by piston break ? (1967 Monza 110 PG)

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 15:07:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM, Charles Lee <Chaz at properproper.com> wrote:
> I'm very curious about how such a large piece of my piston broke off with
> such a clean break, and apparently very recently since the surfaces are not
> burned from running the engine for very long in that condition.

Charlie, Normal? Absolutely not.But its not abnormal for aluminum
chunks to get ground up and end up in the pan. Most of the open space
in the case has rotating components in it that are going fast with oil
squirting all over the place. It would take less than a half second to
grind up something that size, and it would be over.
Yes, there may be other damage. Just take a good look at all your cam
lobes, crank throws, rods and the inside of the case for  puncture and
scrape marks. None of which is going to matter unless the case got
cracked. Steel usually wins over aluminum.  Sometimes there is no
answer as to why or where parts go.

My case and bell housing is sitting on the motorcycle lift I bought to
remove the engine. Will finish the teardown tonight.  Mark Durham