<VV> Crappy Clevite lifters

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Sun Nov 7 11:20:26 EST 2010

*********************
Smitty Says;   Dan, all the oil that gets to the valve springs and guides is
controlled by the lifter design.  Specifically the inertia valve or flutter
valve at the pushrod end of the lifter.  Over the years I had noted the
large difference between different lifter oil deliverys.  I became aware
that the lifters available to us were more and more, small block Chevy
lifters, which have a problem directly opposed to ours.  They, with
virtually vertical valve stems, suck a lot of oil past the guides, if much
oil gets on them.  We with horizontal valve stems have very little problem
with oil on the stems.  So the lifters you can get for the most part are
very restrictive  of the oil they feed up the pushrod tube.
When I bought lifters for my engine build, I bought them from a well known
Corvair vendor.  Stupidly I assumed that they wouldn't sell anything that
wasn't adaquate for our engines.  I am an advocate of cold valve adjustment
and put the rocker covers on as soon as that is done.  Consequenty I never
saw the oil delivery to the springs.  About 500 miles later the engine
developed misfireing which proved to be wiped out guides.  I mean BAD.  It
was then I found that the lifters were delivering so little oil that they
were barely wetting the rocker balls.  Literally none was getting to the
springs.  I immediately said to myself, what have I done wrong.  I won't go
into the weeks of research following this when I drilled into the oil
galleries at points the length of the block to take pressure readings, and
swapped various types lifters in and out.  Tore down dozens of lifters to
understand the logic of their designs.  Finally realized I had done nothing
wrong.  It was the lifters.  I had alternative paths I could have taken but
I obtained a set of GM original lifters from a junk engine and had them
refaced on the cam surface.  That is what I am running now.  I have used
"the Source" lifters and am somewhat satisfied with their delivery.
Running them in my race car.  Otherwise you are on your own.  Just make sure
that when your engine is running that the little firehose squirt from the
side hole in the pushrod is wetting the valve spring as it goes round and
round.
Final note here.  I am not normally much of an "in your face" kind of guy so
when I approched the vendor about the problem it was with an attitude of
sharing what I had learned.  Hoping to prevent some one else from
experienceing the problem.  his immediate answer was, None of my other
customers are complaining.   Is that true guys?  Are you not having problems
or are you just not complaining?  Were my lifters part of a defective run,
or they all like that?  Damn sure won't get any help from the vendor.  He
made it plain he doesn't have a problem.