<VV> $185,000 Stinger for sale (personal knowledge)

Taruffi57 at aol.com Taruffi57 at aol.com
Tue Nov 9 21:38:20 EST 2010

Well, if this is in fact, the same car the Allen Bristow bought (I
believe) from a guy named LaPorte down around the Melbourne, Fl. area, I  would say
2 things.  (a) that I made a very bad decision the  day I drove the car in
Feb. '05 and could have bought it for $22,000 with  the orig, 140 (sitting
on the garage floor) - and
(b).  Mr. Bristow's idea of what it is worth presently, is  ...well,  let
me think of an appropriate word.
Shocking, is probably not a proper descriptive.

The reason I didn't buy the car....it had slant intake triple choke Webers
on a non-original 140 at the time, were the following:

My wife would have made it difficult for me when I got home. (No. 1  reason
-- by far)
The car had obvious filler lumpiness at the usual bottom corners of the
front windshield.
I believe I saw other small evidences of filler or rust underneath the
paint.
Drivers seat was sagging a lot under my weight.  I thought that a car
showing so little miles just couldn't possibly have such a worn  seat.
Paint (for the most part) may have been original, but the car definitely
needed a re-paint.
It had some big shiny chrome rims on it wrong wood steering wheel and some
gauges in the center of the dash that may have been orig. Stinger  issue,
but I thought were add-on's.
I figured it may have been worth a max. of say $35K with everything nice
and done, but $22K + paint, etc. would have had me at $30K or more into  it.
(condition of the orig. 140 was unknown)
I do remember that it sure did run strongly on the  Webers though.

I was ready to buy it and could have written the check, but left there with
 only a good set of IECO headers - which are now on my '69 coupe.

I guess you could add this one to many others I have run across over the
yrs.  Like the white w/gold '61 Chrysler 300 coupe in solid condition  that I
found way down south of Tallahassee in the forest that I could have  bought
for $17K.  I drove that one, and even as big & heavy as it was,  it got
down the road pretty well.  I still have pics of it on my hard  drive.  And
then there was the red Ferrari 246 Dino coupe I drove in  downtown Orlando.
Nice condition and a sweet driving sports car  for $22K.  I had the Pantera at
the time and probably decided the Dino  was just a little bit too tame for
me.  Sharp Dino's are at $125 - $175K  right now.   BIG mistake.  I could go
on and on.........

The only saving grace for me in this auto vignette is that David(?) LaPorte
 is likely the bigger loser in this that I am.  Of course, I don't know
what  he got for the car.

Joe Dunlap
Lady Lake, Fl.