<VV> [FC] Engine Disassembly continued

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Nov 11 00:35:29 EST 2010

 I don't know what has been said on VV but looking at the pictures for the engine, my take is throw most of it away and find a good engine. As has been already said the case halves look mis-matched. This could be a factory screw up, as we all know lots of strange things have been put together. Take into account this is a '63 engine. But according to the build date on the engine of March 27 it probably isn't a 63 and a 64 case half machined together.

As far as the case goes, with it apart and the crank and cam out, put the case back together. the look at the ends where the machining was done for the crank and the cam bosses. IF, they are matched parts then the circle machining will match perfectly. When I say perfectly, you will not see any edge or feel one. I will try to get some pictures posted when I get back home next week of what I am talking about. The other thing to look at will be the main bearings and also the cam bearing bores. If the main bearing shells are very worn on opposite ends and the matching shell half with minimal wear opposite of the wear area, there is your indicator of mis-matched cases. Also the same situation will be there for the cam bores. You will see lots of wear on one side of a case and on the opposite side of the other half with minimal wear mating next to the wear areas. I hope I have explained this correctly,

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com