<VV> 2. Re: $185,000 Stinger for sale (personal knowledge)

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Thu Nov 11 01:33:20 EST 2010

> > Well, if this is in fact, the same car the Allen Bristow bought (I
> > believe) from a guy named LaPorte down around the Melbourne, Fl. area, I

A few years ago I had a chance (when nobody was looking) to swarm
over this car when David still owned it, mostly because it's so
seldom an unmodified all original excellent condition Stinger is ever
available to me for examination.  And, I wanted to see just how it
had survived the years in the shape it was in, which WAS indeed excellent.

> > would say
> > 2 things.  (a) that I made a very bad decision the  day I drove the car in
> > Feb. '05 and could have bought it for $22,000 with  the orig, 140 (sitting
> > on the garage floor) - and

Even then, 22k for that car was a very fair price what with Corvairs
still not really having "taken off" just yet.

> > (b).  Mr. Bristow's idea of what it is worth presently, is  ...well,  let
> > me think of an appropriate word.
> > Shocking, is probably not a proper descriptive.

To be fair, the car is worth what the market will bring.   It's that
simple.

> > The reason I didn't buy the car....it had slant intake triple choke Webers
> > on a non-original 140 at the time, were the following:

When I saw it, the original 140 was in it.

> > My wife would have made it difficult for me when I got home. (No. 1
> > reason
> > -- by far)
> > The car had obvious filler lumpiness at the usual bottom corners of the
> > front windshield.

...didn't they all?   ;)  That leaded joint was never really perfect
unless someone went back over it and made it perfect.

> > I believe I saw other small evidences of filler or rust underneath the
> > paint.

When I looked at it there was no evidence of rust anywhere.   There
were small cracks in the sail panels but then I've never seen one
that didn't have small cracks there.  Nature of the beast.

> > (condition of the orig. 140 was unknown)
> > I do remember that it sure did run strongly on the  Webers though.

It ran pretty good with the original 140.

> > I was ready to buy it and could have written the check,

snip

>   BIG mistake.  I could
> > go
> > on and on.........

I think we all at one time or another regret not jumping on a deal
that came our way...

Then again, it allows others to likewise exercise their own options
and pick up the ball and run with it... kinda like a certain maroon
'69 500 modified as a 900 that originally got picked up at a bargain
and lived here for a couple years before leaving for "parts unknown".   ;)

They're all Corvairs.

tony..