<VV> [FC] Engine Disassembly continued

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 11 05:18:08 EST 2010

> I don't know what has been said on VV but looking at the pictures ...

Yeah, looking at the pictures, look at Harry's picture # 133  --

http://picasaweb.google.com/HarrySmith1957/PhoneCo1963CorvairRampside#5537333528164918562

The #5 rod has an early barrel with a distinct relief in the case -- #6
shows a notched barrel, and compared to the notch, no relief.  GM may
have mixed a few case halves, but I doubt they mixed barrels, as they
were provided as barrel-piston sets, and #6 looks like an early piston.
Other barrels are early.

And, that coked up rocker box on the one head does not match the
cleanliness of the other head nor the crankcase -- hopefully the coked
up one was not the replacement ...

Sorry Charlie -- oops, I mean Harry.

Why do these seemingly good guys, like Chaz & Harry wind up with these
problem vehicles?

Me? I'm making my own problems -- being a 1960 kinda guy, I didn't
realize (previously) that the 60 rear xmember is different than the
61-64 -- but I do now ...

Bill Strickland