<VV> Steering Gear Box Fluid

MoVair at aol.com MoVair at aol.com
Mon Nov 15 16:48:12 EST 2010

Hi Folks!
  I'm about to start a rebuild job on a steering gear box for my 65 Monza.
All the internal parts have been cleaned. The case has been cleaned in the
vat at the local machine shop, baked to remove the undercoating. Media
blasted and a second trip to the vat, just to be sure all the media dust was
removed.
  While I was out and about, I took a trip to the local NAPA store to ask
what kind of fluid goes in a manual steering box. Both the countermen and
some other patrons had a few suggestions, but nothing concrete.
  Neither the trusted Corsa Tech Guide, nor the 65 Corvair Shop Manual gave
a definate answer.

  So, fellow VV'ers... any suggestions? And how much fluid?

   Kelly Parker
   Corvair Atlanta
   62 Greenbrier
   65 Monza