<VV> Country of Origin - Virtually No Corvair, but interesting

Charles Fregeau n5hsr at sprynet.com
Mon Nov 15 17:36:34 EST 2010

You have to remember the 17 digit VIN has only been mandatory in the US
since 1981.

The Corvairs had 12 and later 13 digit VIN's that do not correspond to the
17 digit pattern.   There also is no check digit.  If modern 17 digit VINs
were used, US Corvairs would have started with 1GC and the last 7 digits
would correspond to the last 7 digits in the existing VIN (i.e. digit 11 is
the plant, so my old 62 would be something like 1GCY0727x2W162370  This
presumes that Chevy would have used the same model numbers as original and 2
as a year digit (2 is actually 1972) and I don't have a calculator for the
check digit.  Canadian assembled Corvairs would probably start with 2G.  1GC
= US, GM, Chevrolet, supposedly.

So your Ford was Hecho En Mexico?  The 3F gives away the fact that it was a
Ford (F) assembled in Mexico(3)  The first digit is the country of origin,
i.e basically where the final assembly was done.

The 11th digit in post 1980 VINs is usually the plant identifier, similar to
the 6th position on the EM Corvairs (W = Willow Run for instance)

Charles Fregeau
Ex-62 700 Club Coupe