<VV> Baffle Installation

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Mon Nov 15 19:09:57 EST 2010

Smitty Says;   In the matter of pushrod tube removal, cut the guy some
slack.  If you have never done the job and it isn't in the shop manual that
there is a special tool then how the heck is he to know.  Tach Guide?
Don't be absurd.  Not a one of us bought every book available on Corvairs
before we attempted out first repair.  I read several negative references to
using channel locs.  I wouldn't use them either because their grasping
surfaces are straight.  I do however use large slip joint gas pliers.  Open
them to the wide setting and grasp the tube at 90 degrees.  Rotate the tube
to break it loose and then use a very large screwdriver against the block
lower flange to lever the tube out.  Does it sometimes leave tool marks on
the tubes?  I suppose it does.  I have serious doubts that it will affect
the flow of cooling air that passes by.  Nobody but a true obsessive would
worry about that.  As for the Quote Special tool Unquote.  I have seen
plenty of mangled O ring grooves and bent tubes from using them.  That is a
lot more likely to cause future leaks than nicks in the outside of the tube
will.  People get that fancy tool and run into one of those O rings that are
really baked on  and just pound the P*** out of it.  Somebody in this forum
will say, Oh, I always rotate the tube to break the O rings loose.  What?
You put pliers on them.  Well why not just go ahead and pop the tube out
while you are at it?
To get back to the original subject of this thread.  So a guy who does not
work on Corvair engines regularly failed to install the baffles.  Let's
forget that he was set up by them not being made available to him.  All the
people who have built more than two or three engines and never forgot them
"stand up".  The rest of us will just sit here and smile cause we know you
are fibbing.