<VV> Will my newfangled 'ring compressor' contraption work ?

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Nov 16 18:50:02 EST 2010

I also vote for "C", assemble the piston into the barrel and then the
assembly is installed into the block, just like GM did it with cylinder
assemblies.

But...

Suppose the engine is already assembled and you just take a head off and OH
NO, a cylinder pulled off the piston, or you just want to remove the
cylinder to install Helicoils in pulled studs...

You need to use option "A". Use a "take apart" ring compressor.

I use a Lisle waffle style compressor that comes apart, 21700.

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=93

It works either way the piston is going into the barrel.

Your solution may work, except there is a lot of force on those rings you
need to hold in with those two pieces of cast iron. How many hands do you
have? Maybe a hose clamp to help? And, there is the missing metal from the
two saw cuts, may be an issue, maybe not. The VW people have a solid
tapered ring to install pistons into barrels to form the assembly to
install into the engine. It is not a "take apart" style being a solid taper
part.

http://www.vwparts.net/JCRCOMP.html

Anybody use the K-D Tools set that uses locking pliers and bands to
compress rings? It is definately "take apart" style. Looks interesting and
expensive...

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kd850.html

It seems you could mount the cylinder in a vise and use two screwdrivers to
hold the rings in while pressing the piston in, but just try it by
yourself! ggg

I have used gear type hose clamps on small pistons. Just make sure the ring
ends don't line up with non banded areas.

Frank DuVal