<VV> ring compressors

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Nov 17 00:59:27 EST 2010

At 06:03 PM 11/16/2010, Charles Lee wrote:
>I'm practicing using a 'ring compressor' and this thing is NOT easy !!!
>
>First question (Select correct answer) :
>
>A) The piston is installed onto the crank and the cylinder barrel slipped
>over it
>B) The cylinder barrel is installed into the crankcase and the piston is
>slipped into it
>C) Either (A) or (B)
>
>The problem with (A) is that the ring compressor may be too long to fit
>between the cylinder barrel and the crankcase, to slip the cylinder barrel
>over the installed piston, and the ring compressor would need to be
>disassembled after the piston is installed.
>

>(B) seems easier because you can see what you're doing better, and the ring
>compressor won't need to be disassembled after the piston is installed.
>
>I have a solution that may have been tried already ?
>
>Here's my idea (unless someone thought of this first ?)
>Cut about a 2" - 3" band off the 'bottom' of a cylinder barrel and cut that
>into 2 semi-circles.
>
>Use that contraption to squeeze the rings as the piston is installed using
>either method (A) or (B) above ?
>
>www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/CorvairTools.htm
>
>Has anyone already tried this ?

I have one of those.

Trouble is, I can never find it when I want it.   So, I just grab a
big hose clamp and use that to compress the rings.   It works, comes
off easy enough.   I have several of those lying around the shed so I
never have trouble finding one when I need to put a cylinder back on
a piston.

Now, when I'm assembling an engine on the bench, I have a standard
ring compressor on hand that works just fine.   Or, I can hunt down
the 'Vair-specific ring compressor and just use that... if I manage
to find it.

tony..