<VV> 4 barrel carter vs. the original 4 carbs on a 140

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Wed Nov 17 01:12:51 EST 2010

At 09:23 PM 11/16/2010, Bryan Blackwell wrote:
>I have collected a number of notes on the subject, you can find them
>on this page on my site:
>
>http://autoxer.skiblack.com/carbs.html
>
>The advantage over the Rochester setup is better turn cut out
>resistance, and simpler linkage.

Oops...   hold on.  Maybe if you use a bugspray Holley or maybe a
Q-Jet... they handle cornering forces OK.  But a Carter AFB or a
ThermoQuad (which is WAY too big anyway) is gonna have less than
spectacular metering in hard corners.   For acceleration they're
top-notch which is why so many musclecars wore an AFB or two back in
the day.   But they don't do hard cornering well because of the way
the float bowls on an AFB are configured in that "saddle"
arrangement.  Fuel sloshes from one side of the carb to the other;
one side will run rich, the other side lean during a hard corner.

However...  if you don't go tooling around through hard curves, it's
likely gonna work OK although it's gonna take some dialing-in with
metering rods if you want it to work sweetly.

>The big downside is it's hard to keep the fuel suspended in those
>long runners.

Don't forget icing in winter.   But, it usually will outrun the
4-carb arrangement IF it's done right and the AFB in question is NOT
some 750cfm "Competition" series AFB that belongs on a Hemi or a
Max-Wedge race engine.   One small version AFB used on early
Barracudas and Dart GTs with the 273 hi-perf engine flow around
350-400 cfm and works out nicely on those 4xbbl 'Vair intakes.

tony..