<VV> Will my newfangled ...

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 17 04:03:09 EST 2010

Not for your option A -- you won't be able to get the rigid pieces out
from under the head studs.

I have and use the KD 850 tool -- similar ones "may" work, but clearance
of the head studs could be an issue for the piston-to-rod, rod-to-crank,
cylinder barrel assembly order, which I prefer -- your "A".

I've done it both ways, piston into cylinder on the bench, first ("B"),
also, but do not prefer it -- I do remember I didn't like it compared to
cylinder last, but don't remember why.  Maybe 'cause when I was an
infant mechanic I did a lot of VW re-ring jobs, leaving the crank and
rods alone.

Since I am not confined to working on one particular size or make of
engine, I needed a tool that would work with all -- the KD does.  And
yes, I think I used a regular old smaller size compressor on my first
Corvair engine, taking the thing all the way apart six times, or was it
seven -- then I bought the KD unit -- so nice!

"A" certainly works best if you are doing trial assemblies to get or
test a certain 'deck height' (piston to head clearance) on a modified
engine by shimming the barrel.

Bill Strickland