<VV> Bearing problems

cmot at ix.netcom.com cmot at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 21 04:12:33 EST 2010

I have seen similar problems to this. Once had to replace a front wheel
bearing on a 69 vette, removed old races and cleaned up everything including
new bearing parts. When I placed the new race on the hub to drive in it fell
in. I thought I had the wrong parts and checked the part numbers, they were
identical on the old and new part but the old race was .010" larger. I
checked the bearing catalog and my new parts were the correct diameter.
Looking in the hub it appeared to be bored correctly but was in fact
oversize. I theorized that someone screwed up a run and to cya they had a
run of oversize races made to conceal the problem. There were no additional
markings indicating an oversize part and no mention in the bearing catalog
of such an option being available for any bearing. They probably figured the
rotors would be trashed before needing bearings and never be discovered. So
it would not surprise me to find out of tolerance parts on these vintage
cars. Never assume, always measure.