<VV> brake interchange

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Tue Nov 23 12:35:35 EST 2010

Harry, is there some interchange among vehicle lines?  Yes.  Are those
interchanges so direct that you can go to your local auto parts store,
ask for a widget for a different Chevy, and have it fit your Rampside?
Not often.  There are typically design and manufacturing tweaks that
make the part "right" for each application.

One of the best things about Corvairs is that, despite being
uniquely-engineered rear-engine vehicles, the fundamental systems such
as ignition and brakes are no different in design or operation than
other cars.

This makes it easy for us hobbyists to work on our own cars and to find
local help when we need it.

But do yourself a favor and skip the local auto parts stores for
anything other than oil and batteries, and order your parts from the
dedicated Corvair vendors.  The Corvair-specific vendors understand
distinctions that make the parts not just interchange, but actually work.

Maybe you can't imagine GM making special brake shoes or wheel
cylinders.. but they did.

--Bob Marlow