<VV> CORVAIR VENDOR PARTS PRICING think on it please

Mike Clark mclark67 at charter.net
Wed Nov 24 10:49:53 EST 2010

Here's a different spin on the subject.

I was talking with a vendor for another type car and he said, some parts are
priced high so that people don't hoard them.  If something is cheep then
people buy a lot of them, and then they are all sold out and the person that
really needs something can't get it.  It keeps people from enjoying their
cars and keeps cars off the road, all the while good parts are gathering
dust or deteriorating and not doing anybody any good.

Example.  The transmission for this particular car now costs in excess of
$7000.  Twenty years ago it was under 1000.  As the cars got older and the
transmissions needed repair, people bought an extra trans (or two) just to
have on hand because at the time there was no one who could rebuild them.
Today a rebuilt trans is about half of a new one.  This vendor flies to
Germany and scrounges for transmissions and other parts, ships them to his
shop, and pays taxes on them until someone buys them.  If someone absolutely
has to have a new trans they'll have to ante up for it but they'll have it
and their car will remain operable.

Sure, some people that hoard parts are opportunists and when someone really
needs something, they will have to seek out whoever has it and then the
seller will want a premium for it.  How is this different than a vendor
charging a lot for a part?  The difference is if the private person puts the
screws to someone then that money stays in his pocket.  If Clark or
Underground or in this case my friend Gordon who gets $7000 for a
transmission charges a lot then the money goes into development of new
parts, which benefits the cause and everyone in it.

Mike Clark
Stockbridge, Georgia