<VV> Turbo exhaust housing heat blanket or wrapping- what'cha think?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Fri Nov 26 11:46:53 EST 2010

In a message dated 11/25/2010 10:26:52 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
carlton55 at comcast.net writes:

I  also understand that wrapping the exhaust pipes outside of the  engine
compartment do aid in retaining heat in the pipes and increasing  boost.
However, out there it also can retain moisture and rust out your  pipes
faster. Inside the engine compartment the rusting of pipe and housing
should
not be an issue.

At the fan belt toss, I just sold a Turbo heat shield (Not the  Corvair
one) which had stainless steel wrapping around some type of insulating  core. I
am pretty sure it was intended for aircraft use. It had metal tabs to  wire
it in place.

I have worn out a few crossovers over the years. I don't think it is  the
moisture then ruins them. I think it is the extremely high temperature gas
going through mild steel with nowhere for the heat to go through to. (which
is  why the turbo gets that extra boost) I wrapped the 140 exhaust manifolds
as well  with asbestos tape, then stainless steel over it. Boost is your
friend! I would  like to see someone reproduce the Corvair crossover and
"up-pipe" in a good  stainless steel. That would increase the life of the system
and allow wrapping  without fear!

Seth Emerson