<VV> eBay bidding/"sniping" (minimal gratuitous Corvair)

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Fri Nov 26 12:13:55 EST 2010

Yes, bid the most you want to pay, but a bidding war may ensue if you give
others time to outbid you ...

If you bid with time left, other bidders will get an email telling them that
they were outbid, and they'll have time to get back and drive you up.

So, waiting until the last minute (actually last seconds)  might outbid the
current highest bid, so make it your real max bid, because YOU won't have
time to enter a higher bid either.

There was one thing I wanted (an unbuilt AMT Corvair Astro I model) and the
high bid was about $40 dollars, and I REALLY wanted it, so I waited until
about 5 seconds to go, and bid $300, hoping no one else was as crazy as I
was.

Someone else did (almost) the same thing, but only bid $75, so I got it for
$76.

If I had bid high before that, the other guy would not have won (why do they
call it "win" anyway), but if he had time to bid $80, then $90, then $95
etc, he would not win, but just cost me more !

I've tried to outbid someone and realized that all I did was cost the other
guy more money because I never did beat his bid.

So, I learned my lesson and became a "sniper" (like Nutmeg tried to "snipe"
the California election by outbidding Jerry Brown, like she was buying "guv"
on eBay !)

I avoid the grief and "snipe" anything I really want ...

Charlie