<VV> Spark Plug Diagnosis Question

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 22:36:31 EST 2010

Jeff, we'll have to see who responds, but I think #6 might be the
hottest cylinder of the 6, because it is over the longest exhaust log
and is also back in a corner. Its also the farthest from the
carburetor, like #1 and will run a bit leaner. #5 probably also runs a
bit hotter but not so much that you would notice. Its interesting that
they put the CHT probe at the other end of the engine where it stands
to be cooler, in #1. There are guys out there that have installed 6
cyl chts and could let us know if I am right.

With a engine that has a ducted fan on top, supposedly all cyls get
the same amount of air, and that may be true in theory, but things
like cylinders not being de flashed, or the fact that the engine is
closed off on the bottom and only lets air out when the engine gets to
a certain temp, and that cylinder is the farthest from the outlet, it
stands to reason it is hot.

While looking at the plugs, have you compared them to plug charts off
the internet? If the plug is completely white and has little metallic
globs on the ceramic, that cylinder is close to or at detonation, and
you may want to look at timing, gas quality, etc.

Mark Durham