<VV> Engine Compartment Heat WAS Turbo Modifications

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Sat Nov 27 09:19:06 EST 2010

Heat in the Corvair engine compartment could be more of a problem than we have realized.  One of the worst jobs one may have to do on a hot summer day is change a flat tire.  Lifting the spare out can be a painful experience.  The spare is the hottest tire on the car.  Keeping the heat of the turbo contained can't hurt but, has anyone done an experiment in getting more ambient temperature air into the engine compartment in the first place?

How much air gets into the engine compartment through those EM deck louvers?  The convertible might not be too bad but air flow into a 4 door can't be good.  A string test will show very turbulent air around the grille of a LM.  Perhaps the only incentive for cooling air to enter is provided by the fan lowering the pressure inside the motor compartment.  In any case air is not pressure fed like a front engine car charging into the air.
Ken P

************************
Mark Durham <62vair at gmail.com>

Rodney, I'm overhauling my engine this winter and am coating parts
with a three stage primer, paint and clearcoat VHT silicone ceramic
coating process www.vhtpaint.com that is good for 1200-2000 degrees.
I'm a aviation mechanic, (now work for the FAA) but turbine blades are
ceramic coated so they can withstand higher temps in the back end of a
jet engine. So, it can prevent the heat from getting through in either
direction.
They even recommend coating the heads of pistons to minimize heat
transfer to the piston and engine.
I bought mine at amazon.com.
Mark Durham