<VV> Spark Plug Diagnosis Question

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Nov 27 11:31:22 EST 2010

Hello Jeff,

At 07:38 11/27/2010 -0500, you wrote:

>The tip of the plug was quite white, but I did not see any metallic
>globs on the ceramic; that part looked fine. If timing were an issue, it
>would logically affect all the plugs. Gas quality is an issue on the
>island, as I cannot get premium gas here. But recent tanks of fuel have
>been purchased on the mainland, where the car was in regular highway use
>for a few months. So it seems less likely that fuel is the issue on that
>one plug.
>
>I will check the plug after a few hundred miles to see if there's any
>change. Thanks for the tips and the suggestions!

Make sure to also check for some obstruction to the cooling air flow for
the #6 cylinder or that portion of the head.  Be especially aware of rodent
nests or something like a rag or shop towel that got sucked in by the
fan.  A minor oil leak can also accumulate dust and cake up the
passageways.  You might be able to check this out with a mirror, but a more
sure inspection will require either removing the lower shroud (shine light
down from the top) or by pulling the top cover.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI