<VV> Louvers and airflow

Ken Wildman k-wildman at onu.edu
Tue Nov 30 08:16:05 EST 2010

Ned:

Years ago I spent several hours talking to a visitor to my Ultra Van at a
Corvair National.  He was an engineer at GM and worked primarily in
aerodynamics with thousands of hours dealing with wind-tunnel studies.

I asked him about the question of "scoops" for the primary air intake on
Ultra.  Some swear by them, some swear at them.   :)  My own experience,
while the head-temp. gauge was still working was cooler running with the
scoop.  The present owner of my old coach, Ed Lindsey, removed the scoop.
He also did a lot of clean-up in the engine compartment and I think replaced
the engine.

The engineer said, you just can't predict/calculate aerodynamic effects.
His suggestion was to do exactly what you had done.  Tufts of yarn attached
along the sides.  Drive on the highway with a "chase" car looking at the
tufts.  If the scoop was effective the tufts near the opening would be drawn
in.

Since I was satisfied that my coach ran at good temperatures I never went
through the test myself.

Ken Wildman
'66 Corsa-ized cvt, 140/f
'66 Monza Sedan, 110/PG