<VV> How was the VIN assigned/attached on 69s?

dave at arborlea.com dave at arborlea.com
Fri Oct 1 14:04:01 EDT 2010

Yep - that's what got me wondering...  I'm almost certain Fisher Body
could not actually issue the VIN, as they were not the manufacture of
record for the vehicle.  The body was just a component sourced from Fisher.
Of course, the body would have had a job number/order number associated
with it calling out the style, options, etc. which would have followed the
body down the final assembly for the correct engine/trans/options.

An additional factoid is that the body numbers and production dates do not
align with sequential VIN assignment - the last few '69's have earlier body
build dates than some 69's assembled several weeks earlier.  So body build
was certainly disconnected from VIN assignment in some fashion.

I'm sure one of you folks know the answer to this :-)

Dave