<VV> Engine Bay mounted Electric pump stopped feeding gas to the carbs

Stephen Upham contactsmu at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 3 23:02:07 EDT 2010

Matte,
I actually did add about 2 gallons of gas while it was sitting in the
neighbor's driveway.  I hesitated because it was 89 octane, but I
figured that if I got it running, I would be able to drive to the gas
station without doing any damage.  It pushed the gas needle to about
1/4 tank.  It didn't help.  The thing that got the pump to send gas to
the carbs was pushing up and down on the rear driver's quarter panel
which is where the pump is located.  Coincidence... who knows, but it
did work.  Also, I was able to drive the car for about fifteen miles
after that and it never ran out of gas to the carbs.  I think Mark was
right.  There was air in the line from it sitting with the gas in the
tank gathering to the front... at least this time.  I don't have an
explanation for the incident that happened last month.

Markpowhatan at aol.com
Hi!  Sounds like to me that it vapor locked and shoved the liquid gas
back down to the tank. leaving air in the line and the pump couldn't
pull it out.  That happens to my VW Bug now if the tank is low and
parked nose down hill with a hot engine.   Just a thought!!  Mark
Francis   63 Turbo Vair