<VV> Adjusting Idle Mixture - and what exactly does "easy" mean ?

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Oct 9 11:04:01 EDT 2010

"... OK, sounds like  you're trying to go OBD-II which isn't a bad thing at
all. I just wouldn't call  it "easy" (unless you paid someone else to do it
? ), and $440 is at least a  factor in the equation. Did $440 cover the
entire conversion ? or was that just  the AF component ? I've been toying with
OBD-type fixes to bring the Vair  anywhere near passing smog (which is not
required, even in CA ?)...What is your  break-even point, mileage-wise ?  (I
know none of us want to know what it  cost-per-mile to restore our cars, but
since you related MPG as a benefit, I had  to ask !) Charlie"

Answer: It's not so much  trying to reach a break even point; rather, as my
wife and I drive two of  our Corvairs as regular transportation, with good
mileage as an added  benefit, the modifications made are more about
driveability and  reliability.

" ...I just wouldn't  call it "easy" (unless you paid someone else to do it
?..."

Answer: I'm capable of  doing all the work on my Corvairs, and I used to
and still do quite a bit; now,  however, I have a bit less time and more $$$.
I now use a competent local shop  to do the heavy lifting: I organize the
work, and they do exactly what I  ask.

Mike Mauro