<VV> EFI / DIS /ECU / OBDII vs Points and carbs..

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Mon Oct 11 23:26:45 EDT 2010

All with Rochester 1 barrel carburetorS model HV. And they work quite well.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado
Enjoying the simple life

First let me say I'm the first one to to say I only travel more than 1,000 miles in a NEW car....I mean a Rental car....usually less than 6 mths old..

And I do it because of the comfort , mileage, performance and SAFETY....and reliability???   Why I rent...  at least no cost if I break down.

But..within  500 miles  I drive my '90  Isuzu Trooper  EFI  4 cyl. with 205k,  my 67 110/pg  187k,  my 66 Weber'd Turbo or my  65 Crown v8...

And I have never been towed in a Corvair!!  nor stranded....

All are electric fuel pumped, not for reliability...but for ease of procurement when on the road, and cost...

67  has points,  66 has Petronix  and the v8 a Mallory Unilite.

My 67  gets 21-22mpg  around town...27-29  on the road trips.
They all start in any weather easily..and last Dec.  we had 11 F  morning temps.

 This summer I was in 107 deg. temps with the '67...no problems AC  wouldn't fix!! ggggg

Although I love technology and what it does..... and I worked with the latest for most of 39 years..see picture, I cannot  see any reason  to modernize a Vair....

Note:  I am not much of a builder... I'm a Repairman..and I repair  with normally "good USED Parts"  IE  Road tested"!!!

So,  like Timothy,  I see no "Advantage"  in changing anything, except for Savings and ease of procurement, if needed...

ps   I drove one Vair daily for 3 years...60 k miles..I drove a Vair from San Diego to Las Vegas   ONCE...and another to Tahoe  ONCE

Unlike Tim....I got smart!!... or is it soft???  LOL!!

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://mysite.ncnetwork.net/reswr0kp/