<VV> Don't lock your garage !

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Tue Oct 12 01:18:22 EDT 2010

So, you understand !  I take my time fixing things because I know that there
is another problem lurking right behind it.  (Don't tell me about the "power
of positive thinking" - it just leads to greater disappointment - pessimists
are not disappointed as often)

I have a solution for you though, do not lock the garage door !  That seems
to be the cause !

I kind of expected a problem from sitting for 12 years, which is why I
checked compression 4 months ago.

I still ran really smooth (considering it was missing a cylinder), and I
spend an inordinate amount of time on carbs, thinking that was the problem ?

Is a missing cylinder consistent with the "aroma" of gas ?  Seems likely,
since 1/6th of the fuel must be going out the tail pipe unburned, right ?

I wanted to tear down to clean mouse nests and whatever else is in there.

However, I was surprised at how little sludge there was inside the the valve
covers :
www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1967MonzaCylinderHeadRemoval.htm

I am concerned that the one stud came out with the head bolt on #5 intake
(see pix)

Thanks for being there to listen to me tell stories about my journey !

Charlie