<VV> Shipping Costs

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Tue Oct 12 11:58:13 EDT 2010

I recently decided to scrap, two Corvair 3 speed manual transmissions. I had tried to sell these in the past and it seemed that no one wanted them. I did know that some of the parts were desirable to the Corvair people who were modifying the 4 speed transmissions, so before I scrapped them I offered them to anyone who wanted them, pay for the shipping and they would be yours.

The shipping costs to send them to VA, NC or SC from NJ, using the U.S. Post Office, was actually all the same. Boxed for shipping, it cost me, $31.69 and $31.34 to ship the two transmissions. Add to that a small Pay Pal fee to receive the money, $2.33, plus say $1.00 for tape and fuel to get to the post office, the total cost to give away two 3 speed transmissions was $66.36.

So my charge of $70.00 for the transmissions, actually netted me a profit of $3.64 or about 3 cents a pound. LOL

I was happy to pass them onto someone who could use them and also to free up some space in my garage. And before anyone says you should have used UPS, the UPS cost would have been $71.70 instead of the $66.36, yes I had already checked that before going with the U.S. Post Office.

Roy in Bayville