<VV> proportioning valve

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 12 14:46:12 EDT 2010

>>I have installed disc brakes up front and want to use more of their stopping
>>power.

Put them on the back, then, instead of the front.  Fieros, which mostly
have (inadequate) 4-wheel discs to start with, benefit greatly in
stopping power by first upgrading the rear discs. They have a simlar
wieght bias to the Covair.

Front discs are great when the majority of your braking force comes from
the front wheels, but a Corvair, because of the rear weight bias, does a
good deal of stopping with the rear brakes.  I don't think use of a
proportioning vlave, readily available from any aftermarket brake
supplier (get an adjustable one), on a Corvair, is perhaps the wisest
choice. Do you really want to 'hold-off' the brakes that do the majority
of the stopping on your car?

Now I believe I just posted about bigger brakes on the front, and I do
not have an issue with that combination, but I would also like those
bigger brakes on the back, without cutting up the wheel wells on my
Sixty.  Just haven't got there yet. Maybe I'll have to do discs on the rear?

Bill Strickland