<VV> make Corvairs less "aromatic"

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 12 20:28:36 EDT 2010

Agreed. HC=hydrocarbons. CO=carbon monoxide. NOX=oxides of nitrogen. 1 way to reduce NOX is to lower the combustion chamber temperature which is why VW (and probably Porsche) started using an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system. For awhile in Calif. they (smog repair mechanics) started using a "valve" which reduced the amount of vacuum advance thereby reducing NOX. But our Corvairs were mainly into reducing CO and HC's with the (smog) air pump. I don't know if they were even concerned at the time w/ NOX.
Timothy Shortle in (SMOG FREE) Durango Colorado