<VV> make Corvairs less "aromatic"

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Wed Oct 13 19:24:29 EDT 2010

It's the unburned fuel that smells, and cats convert it into non-noxious
gases, but Corvairs' heat and exhaust will eat up a cat quite quickly, if my
guess is right ?

EFI and DIS, etc, will help burn more gas, and so less comes out the tail
pipe, which is the whole idea behind the new cars that require OBD to
orchestrate that symphony of operations that complicate, but clean up,
modern engines.

I've heard it said that it's like tuning your car to the specific
environment, 100 times a second (or a minute), instead of tuning it up in
your garage and then driving it in the "real world" which is quite different
!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill H." <gojoe283 at yahoo.com>
To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 3:16 PM
Subject: <VV> make Corvairs less "aromatic"

B"H

Tim: The answer is twofold:

1. The Corvair is somewhat noisier than I anticipated it would be. At some
point, the car's exhaust got sort of rumbing sound, nice if you're into
muscle
cars, but I prefer the quiet purr of a well-tuned and smooth engine. After
visiting an exhaust shop, the tech suggested I add a cat to the exhaust
system
to get a quieter exhaust tone.

2. Any non-catalyst exhaust smells. We don't realize now far we've come, but
cars built before 1974 all smelled the same, but after cats were put on
cars,
the exhaust had a very different smell. Anyway, my wife was so grossed out
by
the old-car exhaust smell that I had no choice. And to tell the truth, the
non-catalyst exhaust DOES stink...

Bill