<VV> Diagnose engine "knock" ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Fri Oct 15 02:43:43 EDT 2010

I back to working on my 1967 Monza 110 PG that was "knocking" before it ran
long enough to warm up.

I also had the gas "aroma" that plagued me even after the carbs were
adjusted to be exactly what the GM manual specifies and according to Bob
Helt's book.
The timing was spot on, too, but still she knocked.

I checked my compression to find 0 in #3, as I posted earlier (before I got
distracted with a friend's overheated Saturn).

After thinking about my problems, they all seem to be related ?

My theory is that gas in the exhaust comes from the exhaust valves, which
are hanging open because the #3 exhaust valve seat has worked loose, which
has also been causing the "knocking" before it was warmed up.

So, my "knock" and "aroma" in the exhaust are all symptoms of the same
problem ?

I'm pulling the head and it should be out tomorrow (Friday), but I'm having
trouble with one pushrod guide bolt that pulled the stud out with it, and
the pushrod tubes are stuck tight.

What are the odds that I'll find a dislodged valve seat on #3 ?

Charlie