<VV> Diagnose engine damage

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 17:26:03 EDT 2010

>I've never removed valves before, so what do I need to know ...

"# 3 (with 0 compression)" means you've got a major mechanical problem,
or you badly messed up the compression test somehow.  Since it is apart,
rent a valve spring compressor from some rental place (or borrow one or
buy) and look at the pictures in the book -- don't loose any pieces.  If
the seat isn't loose or the valve burned (your pics aren't large and
hi-res enough  to tell much -- maybe take it to an automotive machine
shop -- since it is off, you may as well get the seats and valves
touched up, and they can tell you if any are bad -- my best guess based
on the pictures is you have ring problems or a bad (as in broken) piston
-- ring troubles should, but not always, show up in the cylinder wall as
scoring, scratching or other makings.  I suppose you could have a lifter
adjusted WAY too tight, somehow, and are holding the valve open, but
normally (since when are Chaz's problems "normal"?) zero compression is
broken or abnormally worn internals -- generally, just a burned valve
will give you some reading, like 25-75, when the others are 150ish.

Rules of Thumb are 1) exhaust valve troubles often are hard to tell from
just how the engine runs, except for loss of power -- 2) intake troubles
cause poor running and rough idle -- 3) broken pistons, dropped seats,
broken or bent valve train cause noise -- 4) broken pistons generally
cause way excessive blow-by and exhaust smoke -- 5) Corvairs don't
"normally" drop intake seats in 110's

I'll hazard a guess that the wet condition of #3 is oil from the crankcase.

Godspeed!

Bill Strickland