<VV> Battery

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 17:50:57 EDT 2010

>>The 51R seems to be the general one of choice. I looked at them today and was wondering if a smaller battery would be good to use.

Outside physical size has little to do with electrical size when you are
comparing apples (old tech) to oranges (new tech) -- there is a reason
the 51R is the battery of choice -- it works!

>>what [are] the amps [a Delco Generator] puts out?

Maximum possible, or normal operation -- it is controlled by the
regulator -- generators can easily exceed their "normal" 30 amps or so,
for perhaps brief periods..

>>I am having charging problems (over charging battery).

Typically this is a regulator issue, but generators can be a bit
complicated when things get out of whack.

>>I was told it was the voltage regulator.

Perhaps by a certified automotive electrician?  The mailman?  Your
wife?  Some email list or forum?

>> It is putting out 15 whatevers and should only be around 12?

Those "whatevers" are called Volts.  Regulating them is what the voltage
regulator does.  15 volts is a bit high. Normally one wants 13.8-14.2
from a running, charging, well-regulated vehicle.  18 volts would be high.

Your 15 volts shouldn't be a battery killer unless it has been going on
a long time and has "boiled the battery dry" or caused other long term
damage.  Twelve volts is normal static battery voltage, but a charged
battery in good condition may show 13.2 or so -- engine off, turn the
headlights on to dissipate this excess charge -- a good battery should
be able to hold 12 volts with the headlights on for a good while.

But, frankly, since there seems to be a problem knowing that 15 is volts
instead of "whatevers",  I would like to respectfully suggest that you
seek additional outside help, in person, either from knowledgeable
friends or professionals.  Even if you have to pay for it, such help
will be highly cost effective, and, if you are allowed to pay attention,
it could be educational.

Bill Strickland