<VV> Diagnose engine "knock" ? valve seat or ring damage ?

Charles Lee Chaz at ProperProper.com
Sat Oct 16 21:39:50 EDT 2010

Hi Matt -

If you are referring to the close-ups of the rocker arms on this page :
www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1967MonzaCylinderHeadRemoval.htm

... those are un-molested - I had not touched them at all.

Here's what it looks like inside :
www.yourbuyersinn.com/Cars/Corvair/1967MonzaCylinderWallPix.htm

The more noticeable difference is in the type of nuts used, telling me that
someone had been there ?  Probably the previous owner 13 years ago ?

I can only guess the threads are "shiny" because they had previously been
adjusted, recently, but unknown by me for the last 13 years and 5000 miles
(less than 5 miles in the last 10 years)

The car has only been around the block a few times (about 4.5 miles in about
a dozen trips) and it did not sound like valve clatter, but actual knocking,
like pre-ignition, but it did it shortly (maybe 100-200 feet) after I
started driving and got worse until I'd put her back in the driveway.

The carbs and timing (as suggested) were brought to near as perfect as I
could get them, and not a lick of change in the "knocking" sound, on or off
the compound.

Having fun with your Twooper ?
Charlie