<VV> Fw: Corvair stalling problem

PETER INMAN monza1965 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 18 20:48:42 EDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: PETER INMAN <monza1965 at yahoo.com>
To: virtual vairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Mon, October 18, 2010 6:16:08 PM
Subject: Corvair stalling problem

Funny thing I had the same problem Saturday, I was on a 150 mile trip to a
MiddleSchool Football game and I started to develope a miss at different engine
speeds that I could notice the stumble on the tack. It got worse the further I
went. Anyways after the game it ran fine for about 15 miles then started again.
I figured it was the coil so I swapped coil out for another. Same results, ran
fine for a short while then got worse. Turned out to be the points werent
opening hardly at all. Set the points gap to .020 and gave it a try. Never ran
better sence total rebuild 2000 miles ago. When I first tuned the engine after
rebuild I had trouble getting the dwell set, couldnt get more than 20 on dwell
meter but settled for that. Not sure the cause for setting dwell trouble.
Anyways I had to run about 3000 rpm to get any ignition to drive home. Sounds
sort of the same as far as stalling running slow and running better at higher
speeds that I had. I`d check the points.
  I have a Pertronics II on the shelf that I`m going to install real soon.
Question, What should my voltage from the wire harnus check at the coil? I
thought that there was a resister to reduce voltage but the voltage at the coil
checks in the mid 12 volt range while the engine is running and 3.5 volts with
just the key on engine not running.  If I have12 volts and its correct I
shouldnt have to find alternitive 12 volt power sourse to power up the Flame
Thrower coil and Pertronics,right? All sugestions welcome and appriciated.

Pete Inman
(milled heads, Otto 20 cam)   so much fun